Penne with Tomato and Eggplant sauce
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3-4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 11/2 pound eggplant, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 8 large white mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup chopped onion
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 3 cups chopped, canned, imported san Marzano Italian plum tomatoes, with Juice.
- 5 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Pinch of dried oregano
- 1 lb of penne or ziti
- Freshly grated pecorino Romano cheese, to taste
1. Put oil in a large sauté pan over med heat. Sauté garlic until golden. Remove garlic. Add eggplant, mushrooms and onions. Add salt and sauté for about 12 minutes or until veggies are very soft and just beginning to brown, lowering heat, if necessary, to slow down the browning.
2. Add wine and bring to a boil. Stir in tomatoes and return to a boil. Season with salt and pepper. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in basil and oregano and remove from the heat.3. While the sauce is simmering, cook the penne in a large, deep pot in rapidly boiling salted water until al dente.4. Drain the penne and return the penne to the pot. Over medium high heat, stir in ½ cup of the sauce. Stir for about a minute or so. This is how to flavor your macaroni and let the sauce stick to it. Remove from the heat and pour into a large pasta bowl. Spoon the rest of the sauce over the top and sprinkle with pecorino Romano cheese!! Serve with crusty garlic bread and tossed salad!