This is a great salad where the bread is the star. Great lunch time meal, and so full of flavor. I always make this when I have left over Italian bread.
- 8 Cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced thin
- 1 clove garlic, smashed, peeled, and chopped fine
- 1 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- 1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6-8 thick slices of Italian bread, (crusty baguette, or day old bread, not too soft) torn into bite size pieces
- fresh grated parmesan
In a large bowl, put the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, garlic and basil. Drizzle with the olive oil and then pour in both vinegars, add salt and pepper to taste, and toss well. Refrigerate for one hour. Adjust the seasonings as needed. Add the bread and toss well.
If the bread is too dry, add a little more of the oil and vinegar and toss. Top with fresh grated parmesan cheese. Feel free to add whatever you have into this salad. I sometimes add red peppers, garbanzo beans, or cubed mozzarella.